Saturday, September 20, 2008

Do you have...?

(If you haven't read the post 2 down to explain this post please read it first so you understand why I'm posting this)

It's late and I'm remembering all these ridiculious converstaions and I just remembered another one. Some of the conversations that I have are kind of like "Here's Your Sign" moments that make you wonder if people thought that after they said whatever they said I hope they realized how dumb it was. Case in point...

I answered a phone call for the shoe department that went like this:

Me: Hello this is shoes. can I help you find something?

Lady on the Phone: Yeah I was wondering if you carried any dancing type shoes either tap, jazz, or ballet.

Me: No I'm sorry, we do not. The only thing that we carry are little ballet slippers for girls.

LOTP: What kind of ballet slippers are they and what size do they come?

Me: They are just cheap little slippers for little girls in dance, not the kind you can go up on point with.

LOTP: Oh ok. Well I was looking for jazz shoes anyway. You don't carry those?

Me: (thinking in my head Ok then why didn't you just specify that that's what you were looking for exactly in the first place?)

Me: No I'm sorry we do not.

LOTP: Do you know of any dance stores in Fargo that I can get those?

Me: No I don't. I'm not familiar with Fargo and their dance stores.

LOTP: (I don't know why she is still on the phone) You don't? Man I have looked everywhere. Ok thank you.

Me: You're welcome. Bye.
Hang up

So friendly reminder to all of you out there. When calling or shopping a place of business and you need something specific please ask for that instead of asking for a general roundabout thing and then actually needing a specific.

I used to get those same similar questions at Zumiez and Pacsun all the time when I worked there. People would come in looking for shoes and ask me "What sizes do you have this shoe in?" or "What sizes does this shoe come in?" INSTEAD of saying "Do you have this shoe in a size ...?" My response was the same everytime: "What size do you need or wear?"

Ok enough for tonight. GOOD NIGHT ALL!

2 comments:

Brandi said...

gotta love retail!!

mad white woman said...

You must have so much more patience than I do. Ha ha!

I loved reading your conversations. I'm sure (my) Jason could totally relate since he lived there for a little while. Too funny.