Friday, September 19, 2008

You don't need a passport...

For those of you that come to my blog everyday or week hoping I updated it I have decided that since I never really have anything worth mentioning in our lives, I am going to start posting the insane and ridiculous things people say & conversations that I have with my co-workers here at Target in Fargo, North Dakota. I'm specifying the fact that I'm in Fargo so everyone that does not live here can try to relate to the me and feel my pain when I post these conversations. (And if any of you feel dumb after I post some conversations, I'm sorry. I'm not making fun of anyone. It's just sometimes I think my co-workers grew up under a rock for the lack of common knowledge and sense that they have sometimes.) So here it goes. The first dumb conversation:

A couple days ago one of my co-workers (we'll just call her D to keep her anonymous and to help follow along in future posts) D makes a comment saying "I saw a commercial the other day saying that you do not need a passport to travel to Puerto Rico from the U.S.! That's so crazy. I wonder why. That's really cool." (I hope some of you are already have the same reaction to this as I did.)

So I say to her "Of course you don't. You've never had to because Puerto Rico is a territory of the U.S. as is Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands." (I know there are a few more places I just only mentioned Guam and the Virgin Islands.)

D says " I never knew that. That's good to know." (Myself and another co-worker we'll call M just couldn't believe that she had no idea.)

So then another co-worker we'll call B says " I wouldn't travel there. I would rather go to Cuba!"

M and I look a each other and then look at her and proceed to tell her that she can't travel to Cuba.

B says "Yes I can. I can go where ever I want."

M says "no you have to get special permission from the US Govt."

B says "Since when?" (Please somebody have the same reaction to this as me!)

M says "Since for a long time! Bay of Pigs blah blah Cold War, Cuban Missile crisis, etc." (I'm obviously summarizing just a tad.)

B says "Oh really? I didn't know that."

I said "Yeah go ahead and go to Cuba just good luck trying to get back in and explaining why you were there."

B says "Well I don't care I would go to Cuba if I want." (I guess you first have to understand how B really is and the fact that she is saying she would go to Cuba is just crazy talk because this chick hasn't ever been to the ocean or taken a flight anywhere and is afraid of water because she can't swim. I'm sure if I would have told her that she would have to take a boat or plane to get to Cuba, I know the next thing out of her mouth would be "Well never mind then." I'm sure she probably thought you can drive to Cuba because that's the only way she will travel. I'm pretty sure the farthest she's been from North Dakota is Iowa. She is an awesome person and my favorite co-worker, but sometimes...)

Anyway, that's the gist of the conversation. I hope you have a little bit more understanding how some people's minds in ND work. Trust me, I'll have more posts to come with the insane things that they think of and say.

To Be Continued...

No comments: